If you are a permanent resident in Warrington with a disability, you may be able to apply for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass.

Step 1 – check if you’re eligible

You will automatically qualify if you meet one of the following categories:

  • registered blind (severely sight impaired) or partially sighted
  • receives the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance 
  • score 8 points or more of the “moving around” and/or “communicating verbally” activities of the Personal Independent Payment 
  • receives a war pensioner's mobility supplement

You're required to provide evidence of your disability benefit and need a letter dated within the last 12 months; please contact the DWP Disability Service Centre if you need a new letter.

We do not accept yearly update letters; please ask for your full entitlement letter or statement of entitlement which includes a point’s breakdown if you are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment. All benefit letters will need to show if your entitlement is either ongoing, indefinite or has an end date.

You may qualify after further assessment if you meet one of the following categories:

  • profoundly or severely deaf
  • without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
  • does not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • has a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • would, if applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have the application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

You're required to provide supporting medical evidence from a medical professional to confirm your disability in relation to the category you apply under.

Step 2 - check what you need before you apply

You will need to provide:

  • proof of address - such as your driving licence, benefit award/pension letter, or we can check our records (we don’t accept utility bills, bank statements or tenancy agreements)
  • proof of identity - such as your driving licence, passport, birth or adoption certificate, marriage or civil partnership certificate, or deed poll certificate
  • a passport-style photograph of yourself (taken within the last month)
  • Proof of disability - acceptable forms of evidence are detailed in the application

You’ll need to have a photo of each of these, or have them scanned onto your computer, phone or tablet, so that you can attach them to your application.

If you’re unable to upload your documents to your application, please email them to concessionarytravel@warrington.gov.uk or post them to Concessionary Travel Team, East Annexe, Town Hall, Sankey Street, Warrington WA1 1UH.

Step 3 - Apply for a disabled persons bus pass

During the application process, we may ask you for more information or evidence, or we may ask you to meet with an independent assessor.

We’ll look at what you’ve told us to see whether you’re eligible for a Disabled Persons Bus Pass. We’ll write to you and let you know our decision. We deal with applications as quickly as we can but can take up to 12 weeks.

Bus passes are issued free of charge and valid for up to a maximum of 5 years dependent on the category you apply under.  If you wish to reapply, please do so before the expiry date of your current bus pass by following the same application process, described above. 

Replace a lost, damaged or stolen bus pass

If your bus pass is lost or damaged, you can apply for a replacement.

A replacement bus pass costs £10.50. You’ll be asked to pay when you submit your application; please make sure you have a debit or credit card ready to make the payment. Card payments will appear on your bank statement as ‘WBC MV Internet’ followed by the amount paid.

  • If you find your lost bus pass before you receive your new one, we can’t give you a refund. Please return the found pass to us for secure disposal.
  • If your bus pass won’t scan, you’ll be asked to return it so we can check it for you. If there's no clear or obvious damage to the pass we'll arrange for a replacement free of charge. If the pass is damaged, a replacement bus pass costs £10.50.
  • If your bus pass is stolen, we’ll arrange a replacement free of charge. You’ll be asked for your crime reference & police force it was reported to.
Moving in or out of Warrington

If you move to Warrington and have a bus pass from another council, please return it to them, you can then apply to us for a new pass.

If you're moving out of Warrington please return your pass to us and apply to your new council.

Where and when you can travel

If you have a bus pass in Warrington you can use it at any time, seven days a week.

No need to wait until 9.30am, just hop on-board and catch a bus from any Warrington bus stop,

You can also travel for free in Halton and Cheshire West & Chester during the following times.

  • Monday to Friday, after 9.30am until the last bus
  • Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays, anytime

You can travel into Wales providing your journey starts in the Cheshire West and Chester area.

Travel outside of Warrington, Halton and Cheshire West & Chester is free during the following times:

  • Monday - Friday,  9.30am - 11pm
  • At all times, on a Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays. 

Full fare applies at all other times.

Bus passes we issue aren't valid for use on trains, trams, underground services, tours/excursions, sightseeing buses or National Express coaches.

Cheshire consortium concessionary travel scheme

Problems applying?

If you have any problems applying for a Disabled Persons Bus Pass please email concessionarytravel@warrington.gov.uk so that we can help.

2 April 2024