Frequently asked questions

If you have a question about the garden waste collections, you may be able to find the answer here.

Why are you charging for these collections?

Many councils across the country charge for this service and have done for many years.

The amount of council tax due is set by each local authority to enable it to meet its budgeted expenditure and the amount due depends on the band value of the property. Unfortunately, the fact we do not provide a garden waste collection, would not make any difference to the amount of council tax.

Not all properties in Warrington require a garden waste collection, for example if there is no garden. For this reason, we believe charges are fair; you will only pay for the service if you choose to use it.

When does the charge start?

You can pay at any time for the service. Once you have a subscription, we will empty your green bin(s) from March to December.

You will get a subscription permit for your bin. These permits enable collection crews to identify your green bin and show you have paid for the service. The charge covers you for the collection year and there is only one cost for the whole year or just part of it. Bin subscription permits can take up to 14 days to arrive. If your permit has not arrived, please let us know.

The garden waste service is a seasonal service and we do not make collections in the winter. You can find your next collection date online or from the sticker on your black bin.

Will I be charged for ordering a green bin?

Yes. We charge per bin (there is no limit on the number of green bins you can order but you must have a subscription for each bin you want us to empty). This charge covers admin and delivery. There is a separate annual subscription charge.

Will my collection day or collection time change for any green bins that I pay for?

You can find your next collection day on our website. Please have your bin out by 6.30am on your scheduled day. We will let you know if this needs to change for any reason.  Sometimes we need to change the order of collections on the day so it's important your bin is ready for collection by 6.30am.

Can I get a refund if I decide to cancel my subscription?

You have the right to cancel your subscription and obtain a full refund within 14 days of the date of purchase. There will be no refunds after the 14 day cooling off period has expired.

Do I get a refund if the council does not empty my green bin?

We do not offer refunds for the service outside the 14 day cooling off period. If your bin hasn't been emptied it may be because it contains the wrong items or it's too heavy. If this is the case we'll place a sticker on your bin and it will not be emptied. All bins should be out for collection by 6.30am on your collection day. We do reserve the right to cancel collections due to circumstances beyond our control.

Your subscription gives you green bin collections in the usual term of March to December. We don't specify a number of collections as you may subscribe at any point during the year. As garden waste collections in 2023 were disrupted due to strike action we are making two collections outside the usual term in January 2024 so your green bins are emptied.

Do I need to pay every year for garden waste collections?

Yes. You will be able to do this through our website before the service starts each year.

I do not put my green bin out often. Can I pay for a part-year of collections?

No. If you join part through the year or only need a collection a few times a year you will need to pay the full charge. The only reduction offered is for online payments.

Why does my bin lid need to be fully closed?

If a bin lid is not fully closed, there is a risk contents of the bin will fall out as we empty it. To avoid the risk of injury and needing to clean up any waste we have a closed lid policy on our collections. We will not collect any bins that do not have a closed lid. You will need to remove enough waste for the lid to close fully and put it out again at your next scheduled collection.

Can I share a green bin with my neighbour?

Yes, if one bin can meet the needs of you and your neighbour. The charge applies per bin so if you wish to share then one of you will need to pay the charge and then you can split the cost and usage between you. Subscribe to our garden waste service.

If I don’t want to subscribe, how can I dispose of my garden waste? 

We encourage you to home compost your extra garden waste or take it to one of our community recycling centres. Garden waste should not be placed in your black or blue bins for disposal.

What can I put in my green bin?

We accept grass cuttings, hedge clippings, twigs and small branches, weeds, plants, dead flowers, leaves and bark. We can't take food waste, soil, stone, ash, pet bedding, card or general waste.

Read our 'What you can put in your black, blue and green bin' page for more information.

Can I put garden waste in my black or blue bin?

No. Garden waste should never be placed in your black or blue bin. Black or blue bins found to contain garden waste will not be emptied. You should subscribe to the garden waste service or take the extra garden waste to one of our community recycling centres.

Home composting is also a good way to dispose of garden waste.

What happens if I pay someone to cut my grass or look after my garden?

If you use your green bin for garden waste, you will need to subscribe to the collection service to have your green bin emptied.

You can ask your gardener or the person who carries out the work for you to take the garden waste away and dispose of it responsibly, but they may charge you to do so.

Remember, the law says you need to check that anyone removing waste from your property has a licence to do so. If you do not take reasonable steps to check they are licenced waste carriers, you could be liable to a fine.

How will your collection staff know I have subscribed to the garden waste service?

Collection vehicles have a record of your subscription and we post a collection permit each year to subscribers. Place the permit on your bin as soon as you get it.

Where do I put the permit on my green bin?

Place the permit under the handles at the back of the bin.

What do I do if my green bin is stolen?

Please check with your neighbours in case they have taken your bin by mistake. If not then you will need to order a replacement bin.

What do I do if my subscription permit is stolen?

If you think your subscription permit has been stolen from your bin, please let us know and we can order a replacement permit for you.

What if I move house?

If you move house part way through the subscription year, you can transfer the subscription

  • to your new address if it’s in Warrington
  • online 14 days after you subscribed.

You can transfer your subscription online so that we can update our records. Please do not take your green bin with you to your new property.

Refunds cannot be provided if you move out of the Warrington area or if the service is not offered to your new property. Furthermore a refund is not available if you move to a new property and require fewer bins than you have subscribed for at your previous address.

What do I do with the green bin if I don’t have a garden waste subscription?

Choosing not to subscribe means your green bin(s) will not be emptied. You should leave your green bin at your property or you can take it to your local recycling centre. If you keep the green bin at the property, you can subscribe in future.

Do you expect to see more fly-tipping of garden waste?

There's no evidence to suggest that we'll see any increase in fly-tipping. We have spoken to other councils that have introduced similar schemes and they've seen no increase. We'll monitor this issue closely and any reports of fly-tipping will be passed to our Environmental Enforcement Team. Importantly, fly-tipping is a crime, so don’t do it as you could face a large fine.

Are assisted collections available for the garden waste service?

Yes. If you subscribe to the new service and you already have an assisted collection this will continue. If you don’t have a neighbour, family member or friend to help you with your bins, you can apply online if you would like us to help you put your bins out.

19 January 2024