We may be able to provide school transport help for your child travelling from home to school and back if they qualify.
How do they qualify?
We can offer help for primary, secondary school children and young people up to the age of 16
Distance of travel to school
When the child or young person, up to age 16:
- attends the nearest suitable primary school to their home address and the shortest walking distance from their home to that school is more than two miles
- attends the nearest suitable secondary school to their home address and the shortest walking distance from their home to that school is more than three miles
- is unable to walk to their nearest suitable school because of the nature of the route and the route has been classified by the council as hazardous
Families on lower income
Children from low income families, those entitled to free school meals or parents who are in receipt of the maximum level of working tax credit, may qualify if:
- The child or young person attends a suitable school which is one of the three nearest secondary schools and the shortest walking distance from home to that school is between two and six miles away
- The child or young person attends a school and the shortest walking distance from home to that school is between two and 15 miles away and is the nearest school preferred on the basis of the parent’s/carer’s religion or belief
Check what you need to provide before you apply
You will need to provide:
- a passport-style photograph of your child
- Proof you qualify – For low incomes, if you receive working tax credit please provide all pages of your current award which must be dated within the last 12 months.
For both items, you will need to take a photo or scan them onto your computer, phone or tablet so you can upload them to your online application form.
If your child is receiving free school meals we will check your entitlement, you do not need to send proof of this.
If you cannot upload your documents to your application, please email them to: email@example.com
Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP)
If your child has an Educational Health Care Plan, please use the SEND application form below for home to school transport for children/post 16/adults.