School bus passes
Mainstream Bus Passes
Local authorities are required by law to provide or pay for free transport for children and young people up to the age of 16, where at least one of the following circumstances applies:
- The shortest walking route from home to school is more than the statutory walking distance (SWD), where the SWD for secondary school aged children is 3 miles; and/or
- The shortest walking route from home to school is less than 3 miles but the route in question has been classified as hazardous
- The shortest walking route from home to school is more than the statutory walking distance (SWD), where the SWD for primary school aged children is 2 miles
- The shortest walking route from home to school is less than 2 miles but the route in question has been classified as hazardous
Children may also be eligible for free transport if the parents are on the maximum Working Tax Credits or if they qualify for free school meals* and one of the following circumstances apply:
- Aged 8 to 11 and the school is at least 2 miles away
- Aged 11 to 16 and the school is 2 and 6 miles away – and there are not 3 or more suitable schools nearer to home
- Aged 11 to 16 and the school is between 2 and 15 miles away – as long as it is their nearest school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief
If you require more information please read the Home to School Transport Policy [pdf]
*For those children entitled to free school meals because of the protections put in place for the roll out of Universal credit, proof of existing entitlement will be required in order for your application to be considered against the low income criteria for transport.
If you are not already in receipt of free travel and wish to apply please print off the school transport application form [pdf] and once completed return to:
School Admissions and Transport
New Town House
Alternatively you can pick up a form from: Contact Warrington, 26-30 Horsemarket Street, WA1 1XL.
If you are applying for a bus pass to for use at the start of a new academic year you must apply no later than 30 June. If your application is not submitted before this date then the Local Authority cannot guarantee that any transport support agreed will be available in time for September.
If you are eligible for a bus pass you will need to provide a passport sized photograph.
Bus passes are renewed on an annual basis, the Passenger Transport Team will contact you with details of how to renew your child’s pass.
Students 17 and over
We do not provide transport assistance for students aged 16 and above, however, students with special educational needs and/or disabilities may be eligible on a discretionary basis. If you believe your child may be eligible you should apply using the special educational needs and disabilities application form [pdf] once an offer of a place has been accepted.
You can view the latest policy statement for students and learners in further education [pdf] for more information.
If your application for a bus pass is refused you can appeal, please refer to our review/appeal process [pdf].
Lost/Damaged Bus Passes
If your child loses/damages their bus pass a replacement can be purchased at a cost of £8, from the Passenger Transport Team on 09125 443100.